A closer look at Young Poland: An Arts and Craft Movement (1890-1918) and its influences on the Polish arts and crafts of today.
Join us for a series of six lightning talks by experts in Polish arts and crafts. This online event will explore the historical context to the arts and crafts movement in Poland at the turn of the 20th Century. It will also provide a comparison of Stanisław Wyspiański, one of the leading figures in the movement, and William Morris.
You will have a chance to hear from present day artists and experts on the ways in which the Young Poland movement has influenced their craft today and the current arts and crafts movement in Poland. There will be plenty of time to ask questions and discuss the themes.
The event includes an online tour of our Young Poland exhibition.
- Paulina Olowska, contemporary artist, speaks about the influence of Young Poland artists on her practice and the Kadenówka Creative House project, a Zakopane style building that hosts artist’s residencies.
Tamara Baranowska of the Marcin Rusak Studio, speaks about the inspiration behind and production of the ‘Chochol’ sculpture commissioned for the Young Poland exhibition.
Katarzyna Depta-Garapich. Artist and PhD candidate, Slade School of Art, will be giving a summary talk addressing the broader role of Young Poland and the Arts and Crafts Movement as it relates to contemporary Polish art and design.
Julia Griffin, Co-Curator, Young Poland
Roisin Inglesby, Co-Curator, Young Poland
Rowan Bain, Senior Curator, William Morris Gallery
- 11am - Welcome
- 11.10am - Introduction to Morris and the British Arts and Crafts Movement, Rowan Bain, Principal Curator at the William Morris Gallery
- 11.30am - Virtual Tour of Young Poland, Roisin Inglesby, Curator at William Morris Gallery and Co-Curator of the Young Poland exhibition
- 11.50am - Behind the Scenes of Young Poland, Roisin Inglesby - followed by questions
- 12.15pm - Break for lunch
- 12.45pm - Beauty as a Weapon. Stanislaw Wyspiański and Karol Kłosowski: In the footsteps of William Morris. Julia Griffin, Co-Curator of the Young Poland exhibition
- 1.05pm - Producing ‘Chochoł’’, Tamara Baranowska General Manager of Marcin Rusak Studio - followed by questions
- 1.40pm - Break
- 1.50pm - Kadenówka Creative House, Paulina Olowska, contemporary artist
- 2.10pm - Katarzyna Depta-Garapich. Artist and PhD candidate, Slade School of Art
- 2.30pm - Questions
- 2.45pm - Event ends
Registrants will receive a detailed programme and Zoom link on Friday 28 January.