The William Morris Gallery is inviting applications for a three month residency to take place in the autumn/winter of 2017 (timing negotiable).
The opportunity is aimed at emerging and mid-career artists, providing space and time to become immersed in the Gallery’s world-class collection, explore new approaches, develop your practice and share your ideas with the local community.
The opportunity is open to visual artists working in any medium or discipline, from film and photography to textiles or metalwork. Proposals can engage with any aspect of Morris’s wide ranging legacy, from his approach to craft and design to his ideas about the environment and social equality. We're looking for new ways of approaching Morris so be bold! Above all we want to understand what you are hoping to get out of the residency and how being in this environment will benefit or enhance your practice.
The residency has been designed to allow artists to be experimental and take risks, which means it is not driven by creating a final piece of work or staging an exhibition. We are really open to artists' ideas about what the outcomes might be, but there must be opportunities for the public to engage with your practice. Think about which group of people you would like to engage with and be as specific as you can in your application, you do not need to work with the whole community. You may choose to work with one of the Gallery’s existing audiences in a new way, or a new audience who have not engaged with the Gallery before.
You are not restricted to staying within the Gallery’s walls and we would encourage proposals that offer ways to engage people out in the community, or via digital channels.
- The residency is open to artists who live or work in Waltham Forest or our neighbouring east London boroughs (Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Haringey, Redbridge, Enfield).
- You can apply as an individual or in collaboration with other/ another artist(s). Collaborative proposals should articulate the artistic value of the partnership.
- You must be willing to take part in evaluation, both during and after the residency.
- You must be a visual artist but can work in any medium or discipline.
- You are an emerging or mid-career artist with a strong portfolio and exhibition credits.
What we can offer
- Intensive and supported access to the collection and archive
- An artist fee of £3000
- A budget of up to £2000 for associated costs (eg materials or events)
- Publicity and promotion via the Gallery's communication channels
The residency has been designed to be flexible and we will work with the selected artist(s) to identify specific development needs. The Gallery team can offer curatorial support and support engaging with the local community, but also marketing, fundraising skills, even product development. Please tell us if you have specific ideas about skills you’d like to develop to support your practice.
How to apply
Please email the following to email@example.com with ARTIST IN RESIDENCE 2017 in the subject line:
- A completed application form
- Up to five images of your work as jpegs
- CV with exhibition credits
PLEASE NOTE THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR APPLICATIONS WAS AUGUST 14 2017. THE APPLICATION PROCESS HAS NOW CLOSED.
Please contact us if you require information:
020 8496 4390
All applications will be acknowledged within five working days. The selection panel will meet w/b 11th September and we will contact all applicants by w/b 18th September. Due to the high number of applications if your application is not shortlisted for the selection panel, we are unable to offer individual feedback.