This candlestick is one of a pair designed by Philip Webb and used by William Morris on his desk. Webb originally designed the candlesticks as part of the furnishings for William and Jane Morris's first home, the Red House in Bexleyheath, Kent for which he was architect. Webb's account book lists a design for candlesticks on 28 June, 1863, for which he was charged £1. 10s. An identical pair in copper were given as a wedding present by Philip Webb to the architect Charles Winmill and are also in the William Morris Gallery's collection (see L20a and L20b).